Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Waiting with Open Arms

I'll never forget what I loved about growing up in the country.  There was always something to see, somewhere to explore, and lots to discover.  My brother and I grew up as the only kids on our road.  So naturally, we were each others' best friend.  Especially in the summertime.

A typical Summer day involved a whole lot of sunshine.  We played outside unless it was time to eat or sleep.  Should we go play in the stream, swing on a vine in the woods, find a new hide-out?  It seemed there were endless possibilities... 

One such sunny day, we woke up and decided it was the perfect time to visit the ocean.  Our father told us all water eventually flowed there, so we planned to follow the stream from behind our house.  It seemed a logical starting point.  We asked Mom to pack our lunch, which she did, and we set off. 

We took our time strolling along the stream's bank, and eventually ventured in to the woods, beginning the first leg of our incredible journey.  After a (very) short while we agreed to take our lunch break.  Soon all our provisions were gone... but we could still see the house through the trees, so we weren't worried.

Off we went again, and well, we came to a fence which separated our woods from a small field.  My brother decided he'd had enough adventure, and started back alone.  Determined, I told him I was still going, but I didn't really want to travel alone.  Not long after, I was following in his footsteps, sadly trudging homeward. 

I remember walking up through the gradually clearing trees to see Mom standing by the back porch.  She was there waiting to greet us with open arms.  Her hug healed the disappointment in my heart.  It's amazing what a little love can do.

Now I'm Mom.  My kids remind me a lot of me and my brother, going on little adventures and making all kinds of discoveries.  Just as we were, they're naturally best friends, growing up in the country together.  Someday I know they'll leave home with their own hopes and dreams ~ much bigger dreams than reaching the ocean in a day... 

I just want them to know that even if their plans don't work out in the way they expect, I will always love them.  I'll always be there for them... 

Waiting with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa